BHMS (Hons) MClinPsych MAPS, Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis
Clinton Laurence has been involved in the area of psychology since the early 1980s when he developed and presented courses for both coaches and athletes at the University of Queensland Sport and Physical Recreation Association in applied sport psychology. This applied experience has continued across many sports and levels of athletes including working with elite athletes at the various academies and institutes of sport. His work interests have expanded beyond simply enhancing the performance of elite athletes to helping all people achieve more in their lives. He has assessed and treated people in the areas of depression, anxiety/stress disorders, addictions (especially smoking & alcohol), sleep problems, illnesses/disease/rehabilitation problems, relationships, vocational problems, and pain management.
For over six years he was a lecturer at Griffith University on the Gold Coast within the School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science where he taught the subjects Exercise and Sport Psychology, Exercise Assessment and Counselling, Sports Coaching, Health Psychology, and the psychology component within the postgraduate physiotherapy subjects. More recently, he has been a consultant Assistant Professor to Bond University in the Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine.
Clinton has the following educational qualifications and memberships:
- First Class Joint Honours in Psychology and Human Movement Studies from the University of Queensland.
- Master of Clinical Psychology from the Australian National University.
- Diploma of Clinical Hypnosis from the Australian Society of Hypnosis.
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.
- Certified Workplace Rehabilitation Coordinator.
- Certified Workplace Health Safety Officer.
- Mediation Skills Training by the Dispute Resolution Branch of the Department of Justice and Attorney –General.
- Graduate of the Authentic Happiness Coaching Program taught by Professor Martin Seligman, author of the book Authentic Happiness.
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the Australian Society of Hypnosis
- Registered and approved psychology supervisor with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
Clinton’s expertise is not confined only to working as a psychologist or academic. He was involved in the martial arts for many years culminating in living in Japan for three years and obtaining high degree black belts in four martial arts. He has competed at an international level and has been very successful at state and national levels in judo. He has sea kayaked extensively around Moreton Bay, the Keppel Islands and the Whitsunday Islands - in some cases kayaking solo for up to a week at a time. He is also a Freediving Instructor with the world body, International Association for the Development of Apnea (AIDA); and has completed his professional boat licence or Coxswains Certificate.